Saturday, January 01, 2011

Monthly Blog Round-Up – December 2010

Blogs are "stateless" and people often pay attention only to what they see today. Thus a lot of useful security reading material gets lost.  These monthly round-ups is my way of reminding people about interesting blog content. If you are “too busy to read the blogs,” at least read these.

So, here is my next monthly "Security Warrior" blog round-up of top 5 popular posts/topics this month.

  1. Obviously, my PCI DSS log review procedures that I created for a consulting client and started posting on the blog (sanitized, of course!)  took the #1 spot: the first post “Complete PCI DSS Log Review Procedures, Part 1” and the whole series “PCI_Log_Review” are expected to be useful to most large organization  under PCI DSS
  2. Just as last month, one of the top positions is again held by my repost of my free log management tool list (“On Free Log Management Tools”) from my consulting site. The original version was written as a companion to our “Log Review Checklist” that also sits on the top list this month.  BTW, my other  checklist, “Log Management Tool Selection Checklist Out!”  is also in the top chart. It can be used to compare log management tools during the tool selection process or even formal RFP process
  3. Surprisingly, “Novell Bought–What Happens in SIEM?” takes the next spot. The post contains my quick market analysis and some strategy choices related to SIEM market impact of Novell acquisition
  4. Checking My 2010 Security Predictions” contains my self-assessment of security predictions I made back in early 2010.
  5. Finally, “Random Fun Highlights from PCI DSS 2.0 …” originated from my reading the new version of PCI DSS and taking some notes. Feel free to read it to quickly get “what’s new?” in PCI DSS 2.0

Also, below I am thanking my top 3 referrers this month (those who are people, not organizations). So, thanks a lot to the following people whose blogs sent the most visitors to my blog:

  1. Walt Conway
  2. Raffy Marty
  3. Stephen Bradshaw

First, see you in a day or so when I post the list of most popular blog posts in the entire 2010 (also see my past annual “Top Posts” - 2007, 20082009). Next, see you later in January for the next monthly top list.

Possibly related posts / past monthly popular blog round-ups:

Dr Anton Chuvakin