Thursday, April 01, 2010

Monthly Blog Round-Up – March 2010

As we all know, blogs are a bit "stateless" and a lot of useful security reading material gets lost since people often only pay attention to what they see today. These monthly round-ups is my way to remind people of useful content from the past month! If you are “too busy to read the blogs,” at least read these.

So, here is my next monthly "Security Warrior" blog round-up of top 5 popular posts/topics.

  1. By a HUGE margin (20x?), the #1 post this month is “Simple Log Review Checklist Released!” Grab our log review checklist here, if you have not done so already.
  2. My RSA 2010 interview with Bob Russo and Troy Leach from PCI SSC holds the #2 spot: “RSA 2010 EXCLUSIVE PCI Security Standards Council Interview.” BTW, my other RSA coverage shows up on the top list as well: “RSA 2010 – Day 1 Metricon” and other RSA 2010 posts.
  3. The Myth of SIEM as “An Analyst-in-the-box” or How NOT to Pick a SIEM-II?“ and its predecessor ““I Want to Buy Correlation” or How NOT to Pick a SIEM?” hold the next position this month. They present some sadly popular misconceptions about acquiring and implementing SIEM and log management tools.
  4. Log Management / SIEM Users: “Minimalist” vs “Analyst”” being next on the hotlist made me think that maybe my blog is back to being the best blog on SIEM and log management :-) Also, my post on progressing from logging to log management to log monitoring discussion in “Logging, Log Management and Log Review Maturity”  is still popular as well. It presents a maturity scale for organization selecting log management or SIEM.
  5. Open source SIEM – and now also open source log management - theme continues to drive a lot of traffic (starting from “Short Observation on Open Source SIEM”) – it looks like folks are still desperately googling for it. “Why No Open Source SIEM, EVER?” post takes the spot in Top5 this month again – and so does “Open Source CLOUD SIEM, Anybody?” The older inspiration for these posts is “On Open Source in SIEM and Log Management.”

This month I am continuing a new tradition: I am going to thank my top 5 referrers this month (those that are actual humans, that is). So, thanks a lot to the following people whose blogs sent the most visitors to my blog:

  1. Walt Conway
  2. Sandro Süffert
  3. Dancho Danchev
  4. Lenny Zeltser
  5. Stefano Zanero

Thank you for all the link-love!

See you in April; also see my annual “Top Posts” - 2007, 20082009!

Possibly related posts / past monthly popular blog round-ups:

Obligatory “added everywhere” posts :-)

  • I am available for consulting projects related to logging, log management, SIEM, PCI DSS etc. Please see the services list at my consulting site.

Dr Anton Chuvakin