Here is my next monthly "Security Warrior" blog round-up of top 5 popular posts/topics this month:
- “Simple Log Review Checklist Released!” is often at the top of this list – the checklist is still a very useful tool for many people. “On Free Log Management Tools” is a companion to the checklist (updated version)
- “Why No Open Source SIEM, EVER?” contains some of my SIEM thinking from 2009. Is it relevant now? Well, you be the judge.
- “New SIEM Whitepaper on Use Cases In-Depth OUT!” (dated 2010) presents a whitepaper on select SIEM use cases described in depth with rules and reports [using now-defunct SIEM product]; the paper link is now working again, BTW – also see this SIEM use case in depth.
- “Logging, Log Management and Log Review Maturity” post describes a common curve for SIEM/log management maturation, from mere collection (“dead log storage”) to real-time monitoring and analysis [BTW, if I were to create this now, I’d have added a layer or two on top of this…]
- My classic PCI DSS Log Review series is popular as well. The series of 18 posts cover a comprehensive log review approach, useful for building log review processes and procedures, whether regulatory or not. It is also described in more detail in our Log Management book.
- “SANS Top 6 Log Reports Reborn!” is a new post that announces that many people’ work on best log reports has finally been published as “The 6 Categories of Critical Log Information” (with a subtitle of “Top 6 SANS Essential Categories of Log Reports 2013”)
(why 6 of the “Top 5 entries” again? Well, the #6 on the list is a good read, that’s why!)
In addition, I’d like to draw your attention to a few recent posts from my Gartner blog:
Current research on threat intelligence (TI):
- How to Use Threat Intelligence with Your SIEM?
- On Internally-sourced Threat Intelligence
- Delving into Threat Actor Profiles
- On Threat Intelligence Sources
- How to Make Better Threat Intelligence Out of Threat Intelligence Data?
- On Threat Intelligence Use Cases
- On Broad Types of Threat Intelligence
- Threat Intelligence is NOT Signatures!
- The Conundrum of Two Intelligences!
- On Comparing Threat Intelligence Feeds
- Consumption of Shared Security Data
- From IPs to TTPs
(see my published Gartner research here)
Also see my past monthly and annual “Top Popular Blog Posts” – 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
Disclaimer: most content at SecurityWarrior blog was written before I joined Gartner on Aug 1, 2011 and is solely my personal view at the time of writing. For my current security blogging, go here.
Previous post in this endless series:
- Monthly Blog Round-Up – February 2014
- All posts tagged monthly