Monday, November 01, 2010

Monthly Blog Round-Up – October 2010

Blogs are "stateless" and people often pay attention only to what they see today. Thus a lot of useful security reading material gets lost.  These monthly round-ups is my way of reminding people about interesting blog content. If you are “too busy to read the blogs,” at least read these.

So, here is my next monthly "Security Warrior" blog round-up of top 5 popular posts/topics this month.

  1. By far, the top position in October is held by my repost of my free log management tool list (“On Free Log Management Tools”) from my consulting site. The list was reposted and retweeted like crazy. The original version was written as a companion to our “Log Review Checklist” that also sits on the top list this month.
  2. The notes from my reading of Verizon PCI report (“Verizon PCI Report is Out”) are next. The report is really, really good so you should read it along with their data breach reports.
  3. On Choosing SIEM“, a companion to  “How Do I Get The Best SIEM?”, held the next top position. If you are thinking of getting a SIEM or a log management tool, check them out and also look at related resources at the end of these posts.  “The Myth of SIEM as “An Analyst-in-the-box” or How NOT to Pick a SIEM-II?” and ““I Want to Buy Correlation” or How NOT to Pick a SIEM?” also stay at the top – it seems like smaller organizations are looking at deploying SIEM and log management and there is a lot of interest in simple guidance.  BTW, the newest post in this loose series is “So, What Should I Want?” or How NOT to Pick a SIEM-III?” And you can always get me to help with the selection, of course.
  4. Career posts are always super-popular somehow: “Gartner-heads vs Packet-heads” post is no exception. The previous post in my security career series (“Skills for Work vs Skills for Getting Hired”) still shows up in Top10 as well as their predecessor “Myth of an Expert Generalist.”
  5. Updated With Community Feedback SANS Top 7 Essential Log Reports DRAFT2”, “SANS Top 5 Essential Log Reports Update!” and their predecessor  “Top5 SANS Log Reports Update DRAFT” also show up close to the top. Now that I have a bit more time, I will finally finish the write-up and submit it to SANS for distribution…
  6. Our LogChat podcast release is next on the list – the third issue is coming next week. The podcast is now on iTunes as well – check it out.

Also, below I am thanking my top 3 referrers this month (those who are people, not organizations). So, thanks a lot to the following people whose blogs sent the most visitors to my blog:

  1. Walt Conway
  2. Ben Tomhave
  3. Michał Wiczyński

See you in October; also see my annual “Top Posts” - 2007, 20082009!

Possibly related posts / past monthly popular blog round-ups:

Dr Anton Chuvakin