Monday, August 02, 2010

Monthly Blog Round-Up – July 2010

Blogs are "stateless" and people often pay attention only to what they see today. Thus a lot of useful security reading material gets lost.  These monthly round-ups is my way of reminding people about interesting blog content. If you are “too busy to read the blogs,” at least read these.

So, here is my next monthly "Security Warrior" blog round-up of top 5 popular posts/topics.

  1. “Top5 SANS Log Reports Update DRAFT” finally beat the previous champion of a few months “Simple Log Review Checklist Released!” In a few days, I will post the results of a community effort to refine the new SANS Top 8 (!) Log Reports…stand by.
  2. Career posts somehow always get top scores automatically and “Skills for Work vs Skills for Getting Hired” is no exception. Just as its predecessor, “Myth of an Expert Generalist”, it got on my monthly Top 5 posts immediately, was featured on Reddit.com, etc, etc.
  3. How Do I Get The Best SIEM?”, a companion to “On Choosing SIEM“, went to the top like lighting a few months ago and stayed there this month. If you are thinking of getting a SIEM or a log management tool, check them out and also look at related resources at the end of these posts.  “The Myth of SIEM as “An Analyst-in-the-box” or How NOT to Pick a SIEM-II?” and ““I Want to Buy Correlation” or How NOT to Pick a SIEM?” also stay at the top – it seems like smaller organizations are looking at deploying SIEM and log management and there is a lot of interest in simple guidance on this.
  4. Next up are my notes from University PCI DSS workshop where I delivered a keynote: “My Best PCI DSS Presentation EVER!” (the infamous “compliance kitten” quotes comes from here)
  5. The report from HITB 2010 Amsterdam conference which I opened with a keynote “Security Chasm” is also on the monthly top list – “HITB 2010 Amsterdam Awesomeness.”

Also, below I am thanking my top 5 referrers this month (those who are people, not organizations). So, thanks a lot to the following people whose blogs sent the most visitors to my blog:

  1. Michał Wiczyński
  2. Raffael Marty
  3. Dancho Danchev
  4. Walt Conway 
  5. Cédric Blancher

 See you in August; also see my annual “Top Posts” - 2007, 20082009!

P.S. Watch for a fun post tomorrow, releasing a new SIEM whitepaper that I wrote for a client.

Possibly related posts / past monthly popular blog round-ups:

Dr Anton Chuvakin