Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Nobody Is That Dumb ... Oh, Wait VII

Awesome, we have a winner for our aperiodic :-) "Nobody Is That Dumb ... Oh, Wait" "contest."

So, why give this prestigious award to these assclowns? Here is why: "The Ameritrade spokeswoman says the company believes no Social Security numbers have been taken because the only known illicit activity traceable to the breaches is spam, not identity theft."

Oh, that makes perfect sense! Do the words "... that we know of" ring a bell? No? Then your f*cking bell is broken! :-)

Rich Mogul has some fun comments here. Also, check out his poll on how people think it was breached.

There is one caveat, however: if logs from those databases were collected, preserved and now can be analyzed, I'd actually take the above statement seriously and will have to eat up my "Nobody Is That Dumb ... Oh, Wait VII" entry... Something is telling me this aint' happening though :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's an interesting comment on this whole Ameritrade deal. My wife and I are both customers of Ameritrade. She signed up for an account approx 4 months after I did. I received the "we got hacked" email from them letting me know that my data was at risk.

My wife, a few days later, received a letter stating that her information was never at risk as they knew about the problem by the time she signed up. She signed up at least 3 months before it was reported.

So, to me, they knew about this breach at least 3 months before they reported it and never did anything to disclose the details. I'm not surprised, but still.

Anton Chuvakin said...

wow, that is even more confusing: they knew and they didn't.
They knew and didn't act.
They knew but didn't check.
Arrrrrgggh!

Dr Anton Chuvakin