Monday, October 27, 2008

on HITB 2008 Conference

Not to pretend to steal Halvar Flake's glory, but I just got my own "fun" international travel story, which also spells bad news to those who wanted to hear my fun keynote at Hack In The Box 2008 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

To make the short story ... even shorter :-), I got kicked off my flight since my passport is only valid 5.5 months in the future and Malaysia requires that visitors' passports are valid for 6 months from the date of arrival (not that they make it anywhere near clear on their embassy website or anything :-)).

What makes it funnier is that I got so used to US dates of month/day/year that I actually was genuinely shocked when they said "you passport is not valid for 6 months" while it clearly said "Expires on 8/4/2009" ...

So much for Kuala Lumpur :-( Back to work now.

Dr Anton Chuvakin