Tuesday, March 28, 2006

More data, more tools or more answers?

Here is a fun one (don't half of my posts start from this phrase... :-))

This post discusses what do IT people need: more data, better data or what?

BlogicBlog: View from the trenches: Quoted, but misunderstood: What's Missing from Production System Troubleshooting: "I do not ask for more data, I ask that the data format currently being used is reviewed to see whether it is actually useful for troubleshooting/monitoring and that concerned effort is made to change the format where it proves not to be useful.I do not ask for more data, I ask that the data format currently being used is reviewed to see whether it is actually useful for troubleshooting/monitoring and that concerned effort is made to change the format where it proves not to be useful."

Let's do a bit of analysis and thinking on this one. What do they need - just pick one:
1. More data
2. Better formatted data
3. More tools to mangle the data
4. More answers to their issues-of-the-moment

Now, please show me a person that would not pick #4 :-)

Thus, I think the focus should be on more intelligence and giving answers, not tools (or, tools that give answers! :-)) Better formatted data is certainly useful and will facilitate the quest for answers...

Dr Anton Chuvakin