Friday, January 04, 2008

Annual Blog Round-Up - 2007

If monthly, why not annual blog round-up? These are my top popular "Security Warrior" blog posts for 2007! To make this a competition of posts, I am removing the links to the main blog, search labels (e.g. log management, which was indeed one of the most popular resources on the blog) as well as grouping posts together in theme clusters.

  1. Same as during past few months, the "fallout" from being featured on a high-profile programming site continues to drive humongous loads of traffic which made this set of posts the most popular, even for the year.  The topic that got such a huge boost was anti-virus efficiency. The posts are: Answer to My Antivirus Mystery Question and a "Fun" Story, More on Anti-virus and Anti-malware, Let's Play a Fun Game Here ... A Scary Game, The Original Anti-Virus Test Paper is Here!, Protected but Owned: My Little Investigation as well as a final entry about my own switch away from mainstream major-vendor anti-virus tool: A Bit More on AV  and Closure (Kind of) to the Anti-Virus Efficiency/Effectiveness Saga.
  2. Next by rank is a set of my Top11 listsTop 11 Reasons to Collect and Preserve Computer Logs and  Top 11 Reasons to Look at Your Logs (the third list, Top 11 Reasons to Secure and Protect Your Logs, was not quite that popular - I have long argued that, sadly, few people care about log security yet).
  3. Wow! I love, love, love the fact that my blog readers made my first Common Event Expression (CEE), post introducing this emerging log standard, (official site now live!) one of the most popular: Finally, Common Event Expression (CEE) is Out!!!. My other CEE-related posts are labeled here.
  4. Hurray to database logging (finally!) My posts related to database logging top the charts. Specifically, How to Do Database Logging/Monitoring "Right"? as well as its "prequels" :-) Full Paper on Database Log Management Posted and On Database Logging and Auditing (Teaser + NOW Full Paper).
  5. Finally, security ROI saga that flared up mid-year is also among the most popular. Indeed, Security ROI Pile-Up! post made it into Top5 (the related posts are: The Entire Security ROI Blood Trail and ROI, ROSI, RROI and Harry Potter Tales). The rest of my ROI-related posts are labeled here.
  6. At the risk of destroying my math credibility, I will add an item #6 to my Top 5 list, again. This little post called On Open Source in SIEM and Log Management have also generated a lot of traffic and discussion. Indeed, log management vs SIEM as well as reasons for a lack of a popular and complete open source log management solution are fun topics!

See you in 2009! :-)

Possibly related posts / past monthly popular blog round-ups:

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

No comments:

Dr Anton Chuvakin