Wednesday, January 18, 2006

It makes you "secure"? From what?

Not that I spent time perusing old mailing list postings :-), but I've been meaning to blog about it for quite some time.

Here is a fun quote on Windows security that I wanted to highlight: "XP SP2 solved the problem with people getting owned every time they connected their computer to the Internet. But it didn't solve the problem of people getting owned every time they used an application on their computer."

Think about it... SP2 made Windows more secure, but you didn't think (I hope!) that you scrapped your anti-virus because of it. At this stage, the "if I can get to you over the network, you are toast" has [somewhat] faded into history (unless you run applications, that is :-)), but "if I can run anything on your box, you are toast" still rings true.

No comments:

Dr Anton Chuvakin