Dr Anton Chuvakin Blog (Original)

Security writing since the mid-2000s. New posts are mirrored from Anton on Security on Medium.

Security Reflections and Musings on the Year 2010

Here is my new annual post (on top of my annual top post chart and annual predictions):  Security Reflections and Musings on a Passing Year.

Totally informal. Subjective! No science has been harmed while making it!

So, what security events, things, happenings do I remember from 2010 (in no particular order):

  • “86% of breached companies had intrusion evidence in their logs” and other super-juicy bits from Verizon breach report.
  • Wikileaks. Your data will be stolen  and, if you are lucky, leaked. If you are not lucky, sold and then used against you. Boom! That was your business going down.
  • PCI DSS 2.0 is here – but the fight goes on. Now you merchants finally have to do it (or outsource card processing)
  • APT. Please forget APT (most people – NOT all) – while you are reading in the media about APT, your barely-there-security is being owned by Backwards Non-persistent Whaaa-you-call-that-a-threat? (BNW). Boom!!
  • TSA JunkGrabGate – please don’t laugh, but “S” in TSA actually …OK, stop laughing NOW… stands for …yeah, I know, I know… “security.” So, it counts as a part of security reflections for the year. It is definitely stuck in my head – and probably will be stuck in my head for more than a year.
  • RSA2010  conference – this was my first show where I was as an independent consultant (no vendor hat in hand) and I loved it. I am sooo looking forward to this year – and my press pass is already confirmed.

Maybe I can tag others to reflect on the year? Hey, others, Smile want to do it?

Stand by for my review of 2010 predictions and – yes!- 2011 predictions.