Monday, May 05, 2008

Nobody Is That Dumb ... Oh, Wait X

The fans of "Anton-style humor" will (darn it, MUST!) appreciate the X-th (i.e. super-anniversary) installment in my strictly aperiodic "Nobody Is That Dumb ... Oh, Wait" series,  a cheap [but - hopefully! - more humorous] imitation of the infamous "doghouse."

Today's entry is about throwing free money and free work [of somebody else, mind you] down the proverbial crapper.

So, the other day I was at one security conference which had a bit of a vendor expo. Since I work for a log management vendor, I am always on the lookout for new log-producing technologies. Typically, I just ask the vendor to send some log samples so that we can either create an official support package for this new log source or, at least, see how such logs will fare with our log indexer (that enables LogLogic index searches and  Index Reports).

Obviously, every vendor I ever approached loved it: after all, they might get something for nothing. If they are small, integrating with LogLogic might help their business. If they are big, they are typically happy that their "partner ecosystem" is growing. All it takes for them is sending a small sample of their logs - and we will do the rest.

While cruising that show I noticed a booth of a relatively well-known (but still pretty small) security appliance vendor. So I chatted with them a bit and in the end asked the engineer to connect  me with their core  folks so that we [LogLogic] can get a sample of logs and then develop support for it.  We don't really have to do it for them, but, then again, it might come handy, who knows.

Imagine my surprise (nah, shock!) when an email came that they "don't really want that."  I thought long and hard about the possible benefits of NOT having your logs in a log management system, but only one stood above the rest - and that is STUPIDITY! Thus, this entry :-)

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments:

Dr Anton Chuvakin