Dr Anton Chuvakin Blog (Original)

Security writing since the mid-2000s. New posts are mirrored from Anton on Security on Medium.

Logging AS a Privacy Risk? Discussion Ensued :-)

So, some responses to my post on auditing all access are in. Rich Mogul brings an interesting and useful distinction that I totally, unquestionably missed :-)

He seems to agree when when we talk about corporate, work-related resource access. However, in his view, logging "everything" is not so kosher when dealing with "personal life." Upon thinking about it, I tend to agree that there is some truth in that, but, at the same time, it is often very hard to separate between the two: your personal life might be somebody else's business - e.g. your ISPs, Google's, whatever website you visit ... after all you do access their corporate resources (even if public)

The discussion also diverged (also here) towards "do we have a right for privacy?", in Constitution or elsewhere.

And , come on, Mike, what's up with that :-) (quote): "Anton works for a log management vendor, so it's no surprise that he thinks logging is cool everywhere"? I happen to genuinely think that, even when my marketing hat is off ...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Anton, you don't get to drop your marketing hat. Regardless of what you actually believe. I would hope you believed it before you joined LogLogic, but still. It's not something you can turn on and off.

Mike.