On "No Harm - No Foul" Insanity
TechDirt reported this a few days ago: "Back in April, a judge ruled that Wells Fargo should not be penalized for a data breach because there was no evidence that those who acquired the data had done anything criminal with it."
So, let's try this for size, folks :-)
a. I borrowed your car when you were away (by picking the lock) and then returned undamaged. I also put the gas in. No car theft here, right?
b. I came to a store and took a TV without paying for it. I just watched a show and returned it. No crime, right?
I did think that the trend is to sync the online world with the offline, but it appears that this ruling goes in the opposite direction...
So, let's try this for size, folks :-)
a. I borrowed your car when you were away (by picking the lock) and then returned undamaged. I also put the gas in. No car theft here, right?
b. I came to a store and took a TV without paying for it. I just watched a show and returned it. No crime, right?
I did think that the trend is to sync the online world with the offline, but it appears that this ruling goes in the opposite direction...
Comments