Here is my next monthly "Security Warrior" blog round-up of top 5 popular posts/topics this month:
- “Why No Open Source SIEM, EVER?” contains some of my SIEM thinking from 2009. Is it relevant now? Well, you be the judge. Succeeding with SIEM requires a lot of work, whether you paid for the software, or not. BTW, this post has an amazing “staying power” that is hard to explain – I suspect it has to do with people wanting “free stuff” and googling for “open source SIEM” … [267 pageviews]
- “New SIEM Whitepaper on Use Cases In-Depth OUT!” (dated 2010) presents a whitepaper on select SIEM use cases described in depth with rules and reports [using now-defunct SIEM product]; also see this SIEM use case in depth and this for a more current list of popular SIEM use cases. Finally, see our new 2016 research on security monitoring use cases here! [106 pageviews]
- “Top 10 Criteria for a SIEM?” came from one of my last projects I did when running mySIEM consulting firm in 2009-2011 (for my recent work on evaluating SIEM, see this document [2015 update]) [104 pageviews]
- “SIEM Resourcing or How Much the Friggin’ Thing Would REALLY Cost Me?” is a quick framework for assessing the SIEM project (well, a program, really) costs at an organization (much more details on this here in this paper). [70 pageviews]
- “Simple Log Review Checklist Released!” is often at the top of this list – this aging checklist is still a very useful tool for many people. “On Free Log Management Tools” is a companion to the checklist (updated version) [65 pageviews of total 3861 pageviews to all blog pages]
In addition, I’d like to draw your attention to a few recent posts from my Gartner blog:
Current research on IR:
- What Is Different About Security Incident Response Today?
- Incident Response Becomes Threat Response … OR Does It: IR Research Commencing
Current research on EDR:
- EDR Research Commencing: Call To Action!
- Where Does EDR End and “NG AV” Begin?
- Reality Check on EDR / ETDR
- My Paper on Endpoint Tools Publishes (2013)
Past research on SIEM:
Miscellaneous fun posts:
- My Detection Confidence Survey Results
- No, Virginia, It Does NOT Mean That! (detection and prevention)
- “Deception as Detection” or Give Deception a Chance?
- Jumping Security Maturity FAIL!
- Security: Automate And/Or Die?
- Your SOC Nuclear Triad
- On Tanks vs Tractors
- Defeat The Casual Attacker First!!
- On “Defender’s Advantage”
(see all my published Gartner research here)
Also see my past monthly and annual “Top Popular Blog Posts” – 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.
Disclaimer: most content at SecurityWarrior blog was written before I joined Gartner on Aug 1, 2011 and is solely my personal view at the time of writing. For my current security blogging, go here.
Previous post in this endless series:
- Monthly Blog Round-Up – January 2016
- All posts tagged monthly