Here is another cool tool release from The Honeynet Project: Cuckoo Box by Claudio Guarnieri. Cuckoo is a binary analysis sandbox, designed and developed with the general purpose of automating the analysis of malware. Read more about the tool here, grab the tool here – but please read detailed setup guide here (make sure to read it!). BTW, this tool is really well-documented, so make use of it before deploying it.
Cuckoo is a lightweight solution that performs automated dynamic analysis of provided Windows binaries. It is able to return comprehensive reports on key API calls and network activity. Current features are:
- Retrieve files from remote URLs and analyze them.
- Trace relevant API calls for behavioral analysis.
- Recursively monitor newly spawned processes.
- Dump generated network traffic.
- Run concurrent analysis on multiple machines.
- Support custom analysis package based on AutoIt3 scripting.
- Intercept downloaded and deleted files.
- Take screenshots during runtime.
Possibly related posts: