Here is my next monthly "Security Warrior" blog round-up of top 5 popular posts/topics this
- “Why No Open Source SIEM, EVER?” contains some of my SIEM thinking from 2009 (oh, wow, ancient history!). Is it relevant now? You be the judge. Succeeding with SIEM requires a lot of work, whether you paid for the software, or not. BTW, this post has an amazing “staying power” that is hard to explain – I suspect it has to do with people wanting “free stuff” and googling for “open source SIEM” …
- “New SIEM Whitepaper on Use Cases In-Depth OUT!” (dated 2010) presents a whitepaper on select SIEM use cases described in depth with rules and reports [using now-defunct SIEM product]; also see this SIEM use case in depth and this for a more current list of popular SIEM use cases. Finally, see our 2016 research on developing security monitoring use cases here.
- “Simple Log Review Checklist Released!” is often at the top of this list – this aging checklist is still a very useful tool for many people. “On Free Log Management Tools” (also aged a bit by now) is a companion to the checklist (updated version)
- Again, my classic PCI DSS Log Review series is extra popular! The series of 18 posts cover a comprehensive log review approach (OK for PCI DSS 3+ even though it predates it), useful for building log review processes and procedures, whether regulatory or not. It is also described in more detail in our Log Management book and mentioned in our PCI book (now in its 4th edition!) – note that this series is mentioned in some PCI Council materials.
- “SIEM Bloggables” is a very old post , more like a mini-paper on some key aspects of SIEM, use cases, scenarios, etc as well as 2 types of SIEM users.
In addition, I’d like to draw your attention to a few recent posts from my Gartner blog [which, BTW, now has more than 5X of the traffic of this blog]:
Current research on SIEM:
Planned research on SOAR (security orchestration, automation and response):
Planned research on MSSP:
Miscellaneous fun posts:
- Security Analytics: Platform First or Content First?
- Security Without Security People: A [Sad] Way Forward?
- Excellent Paper: “The Evolving Effectiveness of Endpoint Protection Solutions”
- Befuddled By “Hackback”
- Can I Detect Advanced Threats With Just Flows/IPFIX?
- Security: Automate And/Or Die?
- On “Defender’s Advantage”
(see all my published Gartner research here)
Also see my past monthly and annual “Top Popular Blog Posts” – 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
Disclaimer: most content at SecurityWarrior blog was written before I joined Gartner on August 1, 2011 and is solely my personal view at the time of writing. For my current security blogging, go here.
Previous post in this endless series:
- Monthly Blog Round-Up – August 2017
- All posts tagged monthly