Wednesday, October 25, 2006

On Mass Extinction in Security

So, a CEO of a standalone security vendor proclaims that standalone security products (and thus vendors) are dead. I wonder does it make him a zomby or a walking-dead? Ross Brown further states: "I see the same thing [extinction] coming in securityland for the 850 standalone companies out there in the next 3-5 years."

As I mentioned before, this is likely not entirely true. Yes, the current landscape will change and many vendors will fail or get acquired, but I suspect enough of the new ones will be created as new threats as well as other IT and risk needs arise. Read this old piece where I explain why I think that it will be the case.

1 comment:

Giacomo said...

Interesting evidence suggests that mass extinctions may have occurred very differently than previously thought

Dr Anton Chuvakin