Here is a fun and useful one from Bruce Schneier : "five different tendencies people have to exaggerate risks" i.e. "to believe that something is more risky than it actually is. "
- People exaggerate spectacular but rare risks and downplay common risks.
- People have trouble estimating risks for anything not exactly like their normal situation.
- Personified risks are perceived to be greater than anonymous risks.
- People underestimate risks they willingly take and overestimate risks in situations they can't control.
- People overestimate risks that are being talked about and remain an object of public scrutiny."